Vada Pav Recipe | Indian Street Food | How To Make Vada Pav
Recently, I’ve been really into Indian street food and have been making them at home a lot. Apparently, the last recipe that I shared on the blog i.e. Dahi vada is also a classic Indian street food. Also, another very popular one, especially in Maharashtra state, is Vada Pav. So, today I am sharing this Vada Pav recipe that I’ve been making at home a lot recently and every time it leaves my family licking their fingers.
Not to mention, this Vada Pav Recipe is also kid-friendly, you just have to decrease the spice level in this dish. Moreover, it is perfect as a tea time evening snack on days you feel like indulging a bit. Also, the best part is that at home you can customize the recipe according to your own taste preferences which, according to me, is priceless.
Additionally, if you liked this Vada Pav recipe and looking for more such snacks recipes, I’m sure you’ll also love Instant Rava Appe and Urad dal ke pakode and Potato Wedges.
Finally, if you make this Vada Pav recipe or any other recipe from my blog, please share the pictures with me by tagging me @life_is_delicious_ on Instagram. By all means, I love seeing your beautiful recreations. 🙂
Serves 3-4 people
Cooking time 40 minutes
Vada Pav Recipe
Dry Garlic Chutney
- 1 tsp oil
- 10 garlic or lehsun cloves
- 3 tbsp dry coconut powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 2-3 large boiled potatoes, mashed
- A green chilli, chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera
- Pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 1 tsp mustard or sarson seeds
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt as per taste
- ½ cup chickpea flour or besan
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- 5-6 whole green chillis
HOW TO MAKE VADA PAV RECIPE
Dry Garlic Chutney
- First, heat oil in a pan and sauté crushed garlic.
- Then, let the garlic cool down. Once done, add it in a mixer grinder along with dry coconut powder, red chilli and salt.
- Finally, grind all ingredients together to make a dry garlic chutney.
- First, in a pan, add 1 tbsp oil. Add cumin and mustard seeds.
- Once they crackle, add chopped green chilli, ginger and hing.
- Then, add mashed potatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes in low flame. Keep it aside.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, add besan, rice flour, a pinch of turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Add a little water to make a smooth thick pasta with no lump.
- Then, make small round dumplings of potato mixture and cover it with besan batter.
- Further, fry it in hot oil on medium-high heat on both sides until they are crisp and slightly golden.
- Finally, in the same hot oil, fry 4-5 green chillies.
Assembing the Vada Pav
- First, slice the pav from the middle in a way that it isn’t parted in two separate slices.
- Then, in a flat pan, add some butter and toast the pav nicely.
- Next, spread some green mint coriander chutney on the bottom slice, then sprinkle a generous amount of dry garlic chutney.
- Further, put a potato vada and on top of that, sprinkle some more dry garlic chutney and then one or two fried green chilli.
- Then, on the other slice slather some Imli chutney and cover the vada pav with it.
- Finally, press from the top and serve the Vada Pav hot.