Tomato Hummus Pasta
Before I start, a big yay! for pasta and if you’re a pasta lover I like you already. 😀 As evident as it may get, I love pasta a lot. And the thing I like even more is experimenting with new and different pasta recipes. Before I go any further I’d like to point out that as the temperature soars, the best kind of pasta to have is pesto as it can be consumed hot, cold or at normal temperature.
Furthermore, this recipe is very basic, simple, affordable and is a great way to make your kids have their protein. Importantly, I’d like to point out that I’ve left no stones unturned in keeping this Tomato Hummus pasta as healthy and nutritious as possible without compromising on the taste.
To point out, these are some ways in which I was able to make this recipe healthier
- This recipe whole wheat pasta as opposed to pasta made out of refined flour. You can also use whole grain pasta if that is available where you live.
- Instead of using cheese or cream, this recipe uses cashews, pistachios and sesame seeds to impart that smoothness that a good pesto pasta requires.
- Key ingredients like chickpeas and sesame seeds are powerful sources of different vitamins, minerals and protein. Also, other ingredients garlic, lemon, olive oil, herbs just add to the nutrient quotient if this pasta.
- This Tomato Hummus Pasta recipe is completely dairy-free or vegan.
If you like this Tomato Hummus Pasta recipe, you might also like other pasta recipes on my food blog like Mushroom Agli Olio, Penne Arrabiata, Cheesy Tomato, Pepper Penne.
Serves 2 people
Cooking time 30 minutes
Tomato Hummus Pasta Recipe
- 1 cup for whole wheat penne pasta
- ½ cup white chickpeas, boiled
- 3-4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Tahini (sesame seed paste) or sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp dry Italian herbs
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO HUMMUS PASTA
- First, boil the penne pasta in the water on low heat until it’s completely cooked.
- Once the pasta is cooked or boiled, keep it aside.*
- To make the tomato hummus pasta sauce, put boiled chickpeas, tomatoes, garlic, sesame seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, chilli flakes in a mixer grinder and grind once to make a paste.
- Next, add all the other ingredients like sesame seeds, garlic cloves, lemon juice, olive oil, dry Italian herbs, salt, red chilli flakes and blend to make a smooth tomato hummus paste.
- Then, heat a pan on low heat, add the 1 tbsp olive oil and add tomato hummus sauce and cooked pasta and mix them together and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they are thoroughly mixed and sufficiently warm. You can also optionally dice a tomato and add at this point.
- Serve hot, garnish with dry Italian mix herbs red chilli flakes.
- One way to ensure that the pasta doesn’t stick while or after boiling is by running it under cold water after it is just boiled so that it stops cooking further. Then, drizzle some oil and coat it in with the boiled pasta nicely.