Urad Dal Vada
The festive season is a synonym to family getting together and relishing some great food. Every region in India has a different food tradition and sometimes these traditions also vary from families to families. In our home in the small state of Uttarakhand, we make a kumauni traditional Diwali savoury snack ‘Urad Dal VAda’ or Dal ke pakore. These are made in our home just during the festive days and are savoured throughout the day.
Urad Dal Vada are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, mildly spicy, aromatic and so tasty. Topped with some sesame seeds or til, they have a distinct flavour of their own and is a perfect snack for family, friends and guests visiting on any festive auspicious occasion.
Additionally, if you liked this Urad Dal Vada recipe and looking for more snacks recipes, I’m sure you’ll also love Oil-free Chana Corn Kebab, Vada Pav, Crispy Chilli Garlic Baby Corn
Finally, if you make this recipe or any other recipe from my blog, please share the pictures with me by tagging me @life_is_delicious_ on Instagram. By all means, I love seeing your beautiful recreations.
Serves 5 people
Preparation time Overnight Cooking time 30 minutes
Urad Dal Vada Recipe
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1-2 cups of water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped (or according to taste)
- a handful of coriander leaves or dhaniya, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp jeera powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (or according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp til or sesame seeds
- 2-3 cups oil to fry the vada
HOW TO MAKE URAD DAL VADA
- Soak urad dal overnight.
- In the morning, strain the water and grind urad dal thoroughly to make a fine thick paste.
- Add salt, chilli, jeera powder, garam masala, onion, dhania or coriander leaves. Mix all ingredients well.
- Put water on your palms so the batter doesn’t stick and make small balls. Coat the top side with sesame seeds. (Note – you can also flatten them in a flat round, a thin patty with a hole in the centre)
- Deep fry the vada in oil until they turn golden brown on both sides.